|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cooking time||10 minutes|
|Total time||15 minutes|
These pancakes are the perfect vessel for Nova Scotia blueberries. Also, their lack of gluten makes them a welcome change for more sensitive tums. The inspiration for this recipe came rather shamelessly from CookieandKate.com, one of my absolute favourite food blogs. I used blueberries, she used strawberries, I say do whatever makes you smile.
- 1 Mix together dry ingredients evenly.
- Measure out buttermilk*, then beat in egg and vanilla extract. Add blueberries.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Try not to over mix or they might get a bit tough.
- Grill in a greased frying pan for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides. I made mine about 10 cm across, but you are really only limited by your spatula skills. They are ready to flip when little bubbles form on the top.
- Keep them warm either in a preheated oven or a covered plate. Serve immediately, with butter and apple blueberry compote for a touch of the gourmet!
* Dairy free buttermilk can be made! Combine 1 cup of dairy-free milk (coconut, almond, soy, whatever you got!) and a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for about five minutes before using it in the recipe.
Try this with the Apple Blueberry Compote and maybe even a delicious smoothie!